DIY Frankenstein Flower Pots

I love to fill my pots and planters around the front porch with mums as soon as they are in stock in the fall. Sometimes, this is a little premature because it’s still sweltering in Oklahoma in September and my poor little mums quickly turn into crunchy nuggets instead of feathery, bushy, fall delights.

To help pass the time so that I plant my mums at the right time, I’ve decided to create some cute Frankenstein pots to adorn my spooky porch. Last year my shared creation was my mesh Halloween wreath (I feel like I made three of them…) and this year I’ve decided to make a bunch of these jolly monsters for my mom, Grandma, and friends!

You truly do not need to be an expert painter to create a Frankenstein pot and you can make them however you want – he or she is your monster masterpiece!

If you’d like some inspiration on how to make one, keep on reading!

It is getting late in the planting/gardening season, so that means you might be able to find plain ole terracotta pots on sale. I got some bigger pots this season at Walmart for $5.98 each and some medium sized pots from Old Time Pottery at $2.99 each.

I wanted to make my Frankenstein friends a sallow vintage lime green. I felt that color would really POP! I found a Rustoleum color for about $4 at Walmart that was the perfect hue.

I tipped my pots over for the first coat of spray paint and went to town. Something I learned that is rather disgusting…don’t spray paint in and around tall grass. There were these obnoxious little bugs (you can see them sacrificing themselves on the pot in the photo above) that decided it would be a fun time to fly right onto wet spray paint. Needless to say, I had to pick all of the poor souls off my pots after it dried before applying the second coat….lesson learned. RIP little bugs.

Once the second coat was dry, it was time to bring Frankenstein to life! I sketched out how I wanted his face to look before painting with acrylic paint.

I started with his hair. I wanted a drippy/oozy effect but almost turned our more like Elvis hair…nothing like playing the role of Frankenstein’s hair stylist.


I then worked on the face details. I wanted Frank to look cute and silly at the same time so I made his pupils a wee bit cross-eyed.

And of course Frank also needs the iconic stitches on his face.

I felt like Frank needed to be a bit more derpy so I gave him a crooked little tooth. To help make him blush, I used a cotton ball dabbed in red paint to get a more delicate effect.

Lastly, I bought the biggest bolts I could find at Walmart and hot glued them to the side of Frank’s head.

I ended up making several of these pots and each Frank has different colored eyes!

Now he’s ready to scare some trick-or-treaters on the front porch this Halloween!

It’s been too hot to buy read mums this fall, so I used faux mums for these pictures. I wish my flowers always looked this good all season!

I hope you feel inspired to make your own Franken-pot this Halloween season!

Stay spooky,

Callie Jo

One thought on “DIY Frankenstein Flower Pots

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s